Lose Weight by Juicing - This will change your outlook on dieting forever
If a healthy diet and nutrition program is uppermost on your list of priorities, you will soon discover that juicing for weight loss is the optimal solution. You can’t expect though that drinking a colourful array of cold pressed juices will magically melt away the pounds, you will also have to get up off that couch and do something physical! If the gym isn’t your thing why not try hiking, swimming or bicycling? Or play with your kids or pets, they always seem to have boundless energy!
Will you lose weight just by juicing?
The answer is yes you most certainly will, however just how much you lose will depend on how long you do it for and what you juice.
A good rule of thumb is to keep your juicing diet to 80% vegetables and 20% fruits. Also keep the fruitier juices for the mornings when you will have all day to burn off the natural sugars and for your other meals make the juice mainly vegetable based with an apple or lemon thrown in to sweeten them up.
Will you gain the weight back once you stop juicing?
If you returned back to your old eating habits you most probably will gain back some of the weight you have lost, but if you have used your time wisely to change your eating pattern then the weight should stay off.
These juicing recipes have all the vitamins and nutrients you need to sustain you through your day.
Skinny Minty Green Juice Recipe
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 zucchini
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 leaves of silverbeet – stems included
- 1 apple
- 1 lime
- ½ a bunch of mint
This juice is packed with greens, it’s a little bit sweet and is minty fresh! Mint is an excellent digestive aid and can help reduce wind and flatulence and settle an upset stomach. Plus it is loaded with nutrients such as potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin K, vitamin C, folate and manganese.
Think Pink Juicer Recipe
- 1-2 beetroots
- 5 carrots
- 1 orange
- 1 sweet potato
- ½ lemon
Juices made with carrots or beetroots as a base help to curb those sugar cravings! Both are naturally sweet and taste great in juices, and the addition of sweet potato makes this pink treat a creamy delight. Full of vitamins A, C, iron, calcium, fiber, beta carotene and leucine this juice will be sure to hit the spot!
Spicy Veggie Delight Juicer Recipe
- 5 carrots
- ¼ head of cauliflower
- 1 golden beetroot (if available, alternatively substitute with normal beetroot)
- 1 small piece of tumeric
- 1 apple
- 1 knob of ginger
This veggie laden juice is perfect for a lunch or dinner has just the right amount of spice from the ginger and tumeric. Rich in vitamins B, C, potassium, magnesium, iron, beta carotene and fiber this juice can also assist in lowering cholesterol.
Top 5 Tips for Successful Juice Dieting
1. Drink fruiter juices in the morning. This way you will have all day to burn off the natural sugars.
2. Vegetables juices are best consumed as your afternoon and evening meals, you can include an apple, lemon or lime to add a little sweetness.
3. A glass of hot water with lemon, lime or mint is a great way to kick start your metabolism, it also help you to maintain an alkaline state and balances your body’s natural PH balance
4. Ensure you are also drinking enough water. A study has found that drinking cool water may even speed up your metabolism and discourage cravings for sugar laden drinks and snacks. Now if that isn’t a good reason to stay hydrated I don’t know what is!
5. Make a plan and set your expectations. You may experience a few set backs but this is all part of it, get back on the horse and keep going until your end goal has been achieved.
Top 5 Juicing Mistakes
1. Make sure it’s Cold Pressed! Not only will a cold pressed juicer produce a superior quality juice but you will also get a higher yield from your fruits and vegetables, saving you money in the long run!
2. Drinking your juice too fast. Take time to drink your juice, respect it, savor it. Juice is not meant to be thrown back like a shot of tequila! By taking time to drink your juice slowly your digestive enzymes will start working and this will help your body to absorb those essential nutrients even faster.
3. Too many sweet fruits. Juicing is such a great way to get essential nutrients and enzymes into your body, a common mistake though is adding in too many sweet fruits into your new juicing diet. Fruit is filled with lots of good vitamins and minerals however they are also full of fructose which if you are trying to lose weight may be detrimental. Limiting your intake of fruit is going to be much better for you in the long run.
4. Timing is important. If you want to get the most out of your healthy fresh juice, drink it on an empty stomach. Why you ask? Simply because your body will be able to absorb all the wonderful nutrients of the juice quicker, will waste nothing and by doing so, will only use a tiny amount of digestive energy in the process.
5. Not enough green! The key to making healthy vegetable juices is to make green vegetables the bulk of every serving. Green juices are packed with awesome nutrients such as chlorophyll, which when you consume it helps oxygenate your body. This helps to detox and cleanse your body, improve the circulation of your blood and as a result give you a natural boost of energy!
The reason people often turn to juicing in conjunction with a weight loss program is because you are not missing out on all the essential vitamins and minerals you need to sustain you each day, you are not fasting, you are simply getting your daily dose of nutrients in a concentrated liquid form that your body does not have to work hard to digest.
It also allows your body to detoxify and push out all the toxins that may be stored up resulting in a healthier, happier you.